Thursday, September 29, 2011

Free Genealogy Course

Genealogy Lesson #1
Why do family history? 

As a young girl I enjoyed hearing the stories of my ancestors. My mother read to me from a book called, “Jeremiah Woodbury & His Family”. It contained rich accounts of her father’s family and even included my mother’s name. There were tales of the early Mormon pioneers who crossed the ocean to come to America and then pulled handcarts across the prairie to join the Saints in Utah. These stories of those who are long gone, are a part of who I am. When my children were small I read these stories to them. Now they have a copy of the book to read to their children and I no longer have a life because I am a genealogist.

In the Foreword to the book Ethnic Genealogy: A Research Guide, Alex Haley wrote: “Tracing ancestors as far back as possible has brought to many people great satisfaction and pleasure. Even documenting one's family thoroughly for but a few generations can prove just as exciting and fulfilling as a more sketchy documentation across two or three centuries. Each individual ancestral relative previously unknown and genealogically discovered is its own special thrill! No less thrilling is the discovery of records rich with information, which would have remained untouched, which would never have come to light, unless you had gotten caught up in the multiple, magnetic lures of genealogy.”

Who doesn’t like to solve a good mystery puzzle? Many books and TV shows are plotted on an intriguing mystery. TCasteel, who writes the Tangled Trees blog says: “Genealogy and mysteries, they go together rather well.” Solving who your ancestors are and how they are related to you can be very satisfying. Finding their stories and pictures from their life not only keeps their memory alive but brings you great piece.



When you search for ancestors, you find great friends! 

If you have any questions or you need help getting started or if you are stuck pushing at a brick wall, please contact me and I will help you.

No comments: